Introducing BLOX: A Word Puzzle Game
January 15, 2013
The innovative wordsmiths at the BRI have once again taken a popular puzzle form to a whole new level. The results: a word puzzle game, called BLOX. The concept of Uncle John’s Bathroom Puzzler: BLOX is easy. We’ll provide you with a configuration of letters and tell you hoe many words we found. Your job is to find those words and scribble them down in the blanks.
How to play:
- Find as many words as you can by linking adjacent letters, moving horizontally, vertically, and/or diagonally.
- Use each letter only once to form each word. In other words, if there is just one O in a puzzle, you can’t go back to that O to form MOJO or BOZO or OBOE.
- You can count both singular and plural forms of the same word—for example, PIT and PITS. Ditto for verb forms: BEG, BEGS, BEGGED, BEGGING are all ok.
- You can’t count proper nouns unless the puzzle specifically calls for them. The same goes for abbreviations, acronyms, contractions, hyphenated words, and foreign words that don’t appear in an English dictionary.
- The minimum number of letters in the words you’re looking for will vary from section to section.
Here is a sample of this fun word puzzle game with the answers. You are looking for 42 common words and 23 uncommon words of four letters or more.
Answers Common Words:
CHEMIST, CHEMISTRY, CHEST, COYER, COYEST, CREST, ECHO, HEIST, HEMS, HERS, MERCY, MISER, MISERY, MIST, MISTER, OCHER, OCHERS, OHMS, OTHER, OTHERS, OUCH, OUCHES, RECTO, REST, RYES, SECT, SEMI, STEM, TECH, THEISM, THEIST, THEM, THEY, THOU, TOUCH, TOUCHE, TOUCHER, TOUCHERS, TOYER, TOYERS, TREY
Answers Uncommon Words:
CHERT, CHERTS, ECHT, ERST, HEST, HETS, MERC, MERCH, MISE, OCHERY, OYER, OYERS, OYES, REIS, REMS, RETS, RYOT, STEY, TOCHER, TOCHERS, TRES, YECH, YUCH
Now that we’ve covered the basics, how about you take a crack at this word puzzle game. There are 66 common words and 17 uncommon words of four letters or more.