“12 Days of Christmas” Items: $107,300 (With Bela Fleck Bonus)
November 27, 2012
My true love said to me, “Don’t even think about it”:
Your true love may want to reconsider those seven swans-a-swimming, six geese-a-laying and five golden rings when buying Christmas gifts this holiday season.
According to PNC Wealth Management, which measures the so-called Christmas Price Index, the cost of these three items have helped send the total price of the gifts featured in the popular carol ‘The Twelve Days of Christmas’ to a staggering $107,300.
The added bump means that you’ll being paying 6.1 per cent more this year for all 364 items than you did last year.
Mashable breaks it down, with comparisons to last year’s costs:
- Partridge, $15; last year: same
- Pear tree, $189.99; last year: 169.99
- Two turtle doves, $125; last year: same
- Three French hens, $165; last year: $150
- Four calling birds (canaries), $519.96; last year: same
- Five gold rings, $750; last year: $645
- Six geese a-laying, $210; last year: $162
- Seven swans a-swimming, $7,000; last year: $6,300
- Eight maids a-milking, $58; last year: same
- Nine ladies dancing (per performance), $6,294; last year: same
- 10 lords a-leaping (per performance), $4,767; last year: same
- 11 pipers piping (per performance), $2,562; last year: $2,428
- 12 drummers drumming (per performance), $2,776; last year: $2,630
Bonus: Bela Fleck and the Flecktones: “The 12 Days of Christmas,” each day in a different key…and a different time signature: